Asking Previous Donors
How do I raise $300?
Hometown Press Program
Ready to raise some funds to hit cancer below the belt? This isn’t only a race for personal best, it’s a race for all-out victory against cancers below the waist. That’s why there’s a $300 fundraising minimum in order to participate. But don’t worry! Whether you’re an experienced fundraiser or a first-timer, you’ll easily reach that amount with the help provided. When you sign up, you will get a customizable personal webpage from which you can email friends and family with your own message, allowing them to donate on the spot! Plus, you’ll receive a fundraising and training guide in the mail that offers tips for simple success.
And remember, there’s no reason you can’t raise more than the required $300. After all, wouldn’t it be nice to say you played a part in uncovering a cure? You only get what you ask for, so aim high!
To Returning Participants: Asking Previous Donors to Give It Up Again
If you were one of the sexy runners or walkers in a past Underwear Affair, then you already know the drill for fundraising. You’re not timid about strutting your stuff on the streets of Vancouver, but you may be a bit squeamish about asking the same people for another donation. So here’s a few tips for getting over that hump and making big strides in uncovering cures for cancers below the waist.
- When you ask someone for a donation to a cause like cancers below the waist, you’re giving them a great opportunity to be a part of the solution to a problem that’s been around far too long. You’d be surprised at how many people want to make a difference in their own special way, without actually running through the streets of Vancouver in their skivvies. Don’t limit your donors’ ability to be a part of the cure—ask them for a donation now, and let them know you’ll be back next year and the year after that, until the fight is won.
- Many donors give to the same charity year after year. Talk to your donors about why they should giveThe Underwear Affair every year. In most cases they’ll be more than willing to help raise funds for these taboo cancers below the waist. Let them know that not only will their money be going towards uncovering the cures for these cancers, but they can cheer you on and take pictures as you run through the streets of Vancouver in your underwear. That’s worth a generous donation, don’t you think?!
- If you don’t ask, you won’t get! And if you do ask, the worst thing that can happen is that someone will say no, and that’s OK. But you need to ask in order for someone to say yes.
Remember: cancer is not a one-year cause. Thanks to people like you, we’re making major headway in finding treatments for cancers below the waist! Make sure your donors know that every dollar they give gets us so much closer to the goal of having a future free of this terrible disease.
How do I raise $300?
Have you ever fundraised before? If this is your first time, we promise to guide you through it gently. And once you see how easy and enjoyable it is, you’ll want to do it over and over again. Remember that you’re not asking for money for yourself, you’re asking for money to help find cures for cancers below the waist. The fact that you are out there talking about these cancers makes a huge impact on the world around you. Even if they turn you down for a donation, you’ve still opened up lines of communication for these cancers that have previously been so difficult to talk about. This is something that you can do and feel good about when you wake up in the morning. So read on friends, and learn our tips to fundraising success.
- Set up your Personal Page online. Once you login, you’ll be able to write about why you’re participating in The Underwear Affair, post your photo, request donations, and keep track of your fundraising progress. Your donors can type in your name and donate directly to your fundraising account!
- Set your fundraising goal to $500. The minimum fundraising amount is $300, but we encourage you to set your fundraising goal higher. Once you get started fundraising, you’ll most likely find how easy and fun it is. So set your goal to $500 and see how high you can go!
- Create a list of people who might donate. Write down the names of everyone you know—family, friends, neighbours, co-workers, and other people in your community.
- Ask for your first donation today! Why put it off? Ask someone on your list for a donation today and you’ll gain momentum and want to keep going. Plus, the sooner you get started, the easier it will be. Wayne Gretzky’s words, “You miss 100% of the shots you never take,” hold true to fundraising. If you don’t ask for it, you won’t get it.
- Make a hot date with potential donors. If you know someone who you think might be able to donate a large amount of money, set up a time to meet with them. Tell them about The Underwear Affair and how the funds are being used. Don’t be scared to ask for a large donation; ask for $500. If they can’t afford to give that much, they’ll still most likely give you a large amount. Bring along a donation form so they can fill it out on the spot. And make sure to tell them that their donation over $10 is tax deductible!
- Find out if your company could help you in your fundraising. Many companies have matching gifts programs, which means that any donation their employees give will be matched by the corporation. You can also find out if your company would like to sponsor you in The Underwear Affair. Perhaps if you offer to wear a company T-shirt on the event, your company will foot a percentage of your fundraising minimum. Ask your human relations representative for more information.
- Charity is the best gift. For your next birthday or holiday, ask your friends to donate to your fundraising goal instead of buying you a gift.
- Follow up with a phone call to those who have not responded to your request and with a thank you note to those who have donated. Send update notes with your fundraising and training progress to all on your list. Tell them how much you appreciate their helping you give cancers below the waist a big kick in the pants. After The Underwear Affair, you can even email your donors pictures from the event and reiterate the great way that their money is being used.
Be sure to print out donation forms to hand out to potential donors. You can download the form by selecting here.
Remember - your mailed donations must be postmarked by in order to be credited to your total fundraising amount before the event. But you can keep fundraising online until the day before The Affair! You will also be able to hand in donations at the event itself.
*Note: if you are interested in holding a fundraising event outside of your home and are planning to either serve or sell liquor, you may be required to obtain a liquor license. Please contact your liquor licensing board to ensure you comply with their policies and receive appropriate approval. If a license is required we are unable to assist with the process. Please talk to the licensing bureau directly for all information on the availability of such a license. Please note that The Underwear Affair nor the BC Cancer Foundation can be named on the license.
Likewise, if you wish to hold a raffle or 50/50 draw, you must apply for a license from the Gaming Commission. Similar to the above, we are unable to assist with this process. Please speak with the Gaming Commission directly.
We have a number of very successful fundraising techniques and ideas that do not require special permits or licenses, so please call us today and chat with one of the coaches.
Sharing your story with the media is a great way to bolster your fundraising campaign and raise awareness about the cause in your community. By participating in The Affair, you’re making a bold statement that your community will want to know about.
Click here to learn more about the Hometown Press.